Thursday 29 January 2009

A time to stand up

Today was, in my eyes and in those people I spoke to who took part, extremely successful. With the fanstastic help and encouragement of friends and family I came home feeling that a lot has been achieved today. We have raised awareness, not just locally but nationally. It can only benefit others and we all hope lead to positive outcomes.

The abuse of public money (income tax and council tax for those of us in D&G) for the benefit of a serial rapist has been highlighted on BBC 'Good Morning Scotland,' BBC 'Reporting Scotland,' BBC Scotland 'Newsdrive,' a number of other news and TV bulletins and a large number of national and local papers. More local papers are published on friday, so there may be more in those.

Many thanks to all of you who took part and for the miles you put in to make it to the court, for the posters you made and for being willing to stand up and be counted for something that is so obviously a signal that perpetrators have more human rights than victims. I know you all willingly did it because you feel as passionately as I do about the issues involved. I think you will find that more people will be thinking how brave you all were today to show your faces and to want the changes that are so overdue.

There have been very positive comments from everybody I've spoken to about the protest and the coverage received. Dr Elaine Murray MSP did a superb piece on 'Good Morning Scotland' and Iraina, director of SW Rape Crisis Centre also appeared and spoke on the issues involved with me. Thanks to Elaine and especially to Iraina who works tirelessly on these issues.

I came home, very tired after two days of this, to find the very first negative comment left on this blog and it simply emphasised all the more why our joint action is necessary and why awareness of the issues involved in serious sexual assault and rape have to be raised. Anon I feel sorry for you. You are the only person ever to leave a comment to make me think should I hit publish or reject?
This is what the ANON said:
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Pension for a serial rapist?":
let bygones be bygones, get on with your life. stop living in the past,and cashing in on it. take control, and stop the sympathy vote.
Anon, I think you simply show you live without empathy for your fellow man/woman. You obviously haven't worked out that these are the very sorts of crimes where the victims can't 'take control' (try chronic PTSD and you'll find out about nightmares, flashbacks, dissociative fugues and the likes.) Such naive thinking from anon - I pity you and anybody you know who may become a victim of such crimes. have a look at the Rape Crisis Scotland website, the White Ribbon Campaign website or Amnesty International. They are very educational.

I think that I speak for all victims of rape and serious sexual assualt - no victim seeks the 'sympathy vote.' We didn't have a choice in what happened to us. That is exactly why rape and sexual assault are criminal offences.
Anon, I suggest that you become more acquainted with the effects of rape and sexual abuse cases, their ramifications in all areas of a victims life. Also find out about the fantastic work that the rape crisis centres do - like our local one, where they counselled 199 victims in last year in this relatively sparsely populated region on a small budget. When/if you manage that Anon - perhaps you could make a more informed judgement on issues that involve such brutal violence. Then perhaps you might be able to make a more valuable contribution to society and to social policy discussions and campaigns. I really hope you or anybody close to you never finds out first-hand about rape and sexual abuse ...remember it can and does happen to either sex, any age.

So to the good people who turned out today - this comment from anon is simply another reason why each one of us was there to highlight the abuse of tax payers money, the inequalities of the Carruthers case (and those similar to it) and why you don't just 'forget about it and let bygones be bygones.' We all fight for equal rights in what is hoped to be a world of equality in all areas of life. That is all that victims of rape want ....other than the obvious of there to be no perpetrators so it wouldn't happen in the first place or ever. Oh, for that ideal world with no violent crime and no inequalities in a proper justice system!

23 comments:

savannah said...

well done, sugar! i made a donation to our local rape crisis in support and solidarity with you. xox

Anonymous said...

Well done to all for today. Great to see it get such helpful publicity.
Anon in the blog - you saddo. You're just pathetic. Another psychopath perhaps?

Jane Dearie said...

Holly, thanks so much. Crumbs that was a quick response! Today showed the best people in the world ...and one sad anon comment!
Best wishes, Jane

Eryl Shields said...

Let bygones be bygones?! Ye gads, anon, we're not talking about someone who ate the last of the pudding here, we're talking about a man so violent and predatory that he caused, at least, two women to take their own lives. Jane is still undergoing hospital treatment for what he did to her.

Cashing in? What cash, exactly, are you talking about, anon?

Sorry Jane, just had to get that off my chest! I'm glad you chose to share that with us, because it shows what we are up against. And everyone who wants a better world are up against such people. I'm all for a quiet life, but there's quiet and there's silenced and the latter is as good as being dead.

On a positive note: I agree it went really well today, so well done!

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks Eryl. You were a star today!
Yep, that eejit 'anon' of today had to published to show the pathetic backward thinking. It's not the Dark Ages any more! You've got to pity that kind of person who lacks empathy for any of the victims of serious crime. That's 38 known Carruthers ones I believe. Don't apologise Eryl, it's not at all necessary.

The positives of the day were brill. The coverage superb and how can I say thanks to you and the big chap?! I know - you took part because you believe in these issues of human rights and the present inequality requiring major surgery - as we all do!
LOL, Jane xxx

Jane Dearie said...

Savannah - thanks so much for that wonderful and generous action in support of all rape victims. Sorry my comments are coming in out of sync tonight!
Many thanks and very best wishes to you, Jane xxx

Anonymous said...

Fantastic - I saw you all on the tele and found it on the website to listen to the radio bits too. This should get some changes underway. Well done to you Jane and to all those who openly supported. Just fantastic.
Ignore that anon comment. All it does is show why many people, like everybody who took part today, has such courage and determination for much needed change.
D xxx

Jane Dearie said...

Hi D! Welcome aboard and thanks for those really positive comments.
Anon is just sad and one to be pitied. He/she might find out the harsher side of life one day and that all isn't fair and just. I assume that anon isn't a tax payer either so not concerned at the waste of tax payers money.
Yep, this is now rolling into a much wider audience and so .....that should lead to effecting changes for the better. Better rights for any victim of crime would be welcome.
Jane xxx

Ceris said...

I was at the protest today and wanted to say how much I admire you and to show my support. Things must change. What can I do?

Jane Dearie said...

Hi Ceris, I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up. Thanks so much for coming along and taking a stand on these issues. You're a real star and I do appreciate it - as I'm sure do all other victims of rape and sexual assault.
Writing to your MSP or the South Of Scotland List MSPs, link at the side of the blog, and telling people you know about how some of their taxes, be they income or council taxes are being used. I'm sure they'd be horrified to find out they were being used to support an unrepentant serial sex offender. This man has no right to a full pension in the eyes of any reasonable and decent person. His job was to protect to the public snd his pension was linked to that job. What did he do as well over his 20 years of service? Lothian and Borders Police discovered he'd raped, sexually assualted, abused and stalked 38 women by abusing his power as a police officer. Giving him legal aid and a pension is tantamount to making it OK to rape as part of a job which qualifies for a pension. Not in my eyes and certainly not with my council tax money.
Those are some of the ways to help - letter, email writing can be really useful.
Thanks so much for helping to redress the balance between the present lack of rights for victims and the massive rights given to the perpetrators. Your support is much appreciated.best wishes, Jane
Oh, and more ideas or contact through the email address on my profile is possible too!

debra said...

I have been thinking about you all day, Jane. I read about the protest on the BBC site and listened to the interview.
Anon's words speak volumes about the ignorance and fear that are so very present. And Anon doesn't have a clue what it's like to be a victim of sexual assault, and what it is like to pick up the pieces of your life.
Kudos to you all who were there today and who spoke out. ENOUGH.
xox

angryparsnip said...

I have BBC News on my computer so I read and heard what happened today and years ago.

I understand the many reason why you are protesting. . .

BUT. . .

You are still one Brave Woman.

Well done, I wish I could have been there to support you.

Hugs, Gayle

Anonymous said...

I think you are an extraordinary and brave person and I was very moved by the stuff you write.

D.

Jane Dearie said...

Debra, thanks so much for your support. There is no coincidence in my mind that the comment from anon came just after ITV Border News broadcast the protest and an interview with me and with Iraina. Yep, some people have no idea about the impact - but some of us, who had no choice, know exactly the long-term physical and mental implications of these crimes.
Huge hug to you for your continued support.

AP - Gayle - thanks so much for this Gayle. It is just making me realise the impact of the revolution in media and broadcasting when you can access this from so far away and now you know my voice. I didn't think it sounded like me, but with that voice comes a huge thank you for all your support which was felt. This isn't about me - it's about the inequalities and my situation is one to highlight the imbalance and the changes that have to be made. I just wish to see those changes from what those of us in the Carruthers case went through.
A very big thank you with the voice you now know!

Love to you both, Jane xxx

Jane Dearie said...

D - sorry the comments are coming in out of sync. Thanks very much for your kind words and thanks for reading the blog.
I really want to see positive changes so that others don't have the dreadful experiences that we've had in the last 10 years, and now Carruthers is making it last even longer ....but hopefully common sense will raise a happy smiling face again soon.
Best wishes, Jane

Anonymous said...

I don't think you'll have seen the papers today, but you achieved so much with your supporters yesterday.
Well done Jane and friends.
Love, Holly

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks so much Holly. You're right I haven't seen any papers yet today, but I'm hearing the coverage of the issues we tried to highlight yesterday is very good. Brilliant!
Jane x

Anonymous said...

Too often these issues (of necessity) leave people polarised. I can understand that you are aggrieved that this man is being given public money to fight his case. There are lots of levels at which this is unfair. But if as a society we accord our citizens certain rights then we must accept that there will be odd occasions when people for whom we have no regard exercise those rights in an effort to have redressed what they perceive as an injustice.
None of that will be any consolation to you. I doubt if there is much that can console the deep feelings you have been left with.

Eryl Shields said...

Have you seen the comment on my blog from Frank B: "you don't pension a person who didn't earn that pension..."? That seems to me to be the very essence of the thing: by doing what he did, Carruthers failed to earn his pension.

Jane Dearie said...

Anon, Sorry to you for taking some much needed time out. Your comment leaves much that could be discussed, but this column doesn't allow the space. When I get more energy I'll try to cover it in a blog post.
This isn't about me as I got justice, such as it was. I am doing this because the system needs alterating when it gives the perpetrators more rights than victims. There has to be a balance. Carruthers has overstepped the mark by a long way. I think there will be a lot more to come on this to show that it isn't about a 'polarised mind,' but about the larger issues that affect so many victims of such serious crimes.

Eryl, absolutely right. There are the major issues of breach of contract, bringing the force into disrepute, breach of police regs and as for the police oath (which counted for nothing with him) and so much more.
The comment above shows how much needs to be discussed.
Pages of love, Jane xxx

Mary Witzl said...

Good for you, Jane. If we were still in Scotland, we'd have gone to support you.

How dare someone accuse you of cashing in on something like this when what you are doing is both unselfish and brave? Honestly, people like that make me ashamed of belonging to the human race. People like you, on the other hand, make me proud.

Kazamira said...

Hello Jane,

Just a wee word of support.
I believe in everything you are doing and only hope that you tenacity and strength of character will inspire other survivors to come forward and demand justice and stand up for their own rights. Change comes about from people like you.

All my love and support Kaza.
Sorry I never got to see you at the protest.
xxx

Jane Dearie said...

Mary, thanks so much for such positive support. It's all about trying to get a better deal for survivors and not this daft imbalance toward the criminals. Emotive subjects bring out all sorts of reactions in people - some are quite incredulous but mostly fantastic and very supportive! I know you were with us in spirit from your distant shores.
Jane x

Kaza - thanks for coming to the protest.You're brill! So sad I didn't see you bar the picture in the paper. Your support and words are really humbling and a young person like you is such an asset to our society. Hope to see you one day soon.
Much love, Jane xxx