Sunday 8 February 2009

In one week - hope of positive change

Wow, what a week it’s been post court protest! I can’t get over how much we all achieved. Local and national coverage in many newspapers, on radio and on television quoting protesters, politicians and other interested parties. This is more than I had ever dreamed possible from the protest and letter sending. To all those who supported, or were there in spirit, many thanks once again. Give yourselves a huge round of applause and congratulate yourselves for making a difference to raising the profile of rights and for a fair deal for victims of crime.

As the week progressed it just got better.
I’ve had replies to just four of the emails I sent out to the MSP’s and none from the two MP's who may feel it's not in their remit. Michael Russell MSP, Dr Elaine Murray MSP and through the week to Christina McKelvie MSP deserve enormous pats on the back for their support and for understanding how crazy this situation is and mostly, for being proactive. Michael Russell sent me a copy of a letter he’s sent to Kenny MacAskill, the Justice Minister. It was short and straight talking and he didn’t hold back. It packed a real punch about this whole crazy affair of so much help given to convicted perpetrators who commit horrible crimes. Thanks to Michael Russell.

It’s interesting how from just one incensed survivor things get passed on and are taken up to hopefully engender change for those who will sadly follow. It feels like the trundling stone has started to hurtle down a steep hill this week. I hope this continues.

I also sent a copy of my missive that went to politicians to Rape Crisis Scotland. They asked if it was OK to circulate it to all their centres. I gave a very positive, ‘yes please!’ From that, the Lanarkshire Rape Crisis Centre, similarly incensed, picked up on it and made contact with Christina McKelvie, MSP. Thanks to Anne at Lanarkshire RCC and to Christina. The stone gathering even more pace resulted in Christina asking a question in the Scottish Parliament on Tuesday. She made specific reference to the Carruthers case. The result was a statement from the Justice Minister on Thursday 5th February. This is the press release:

NEWSDESKS
POLITICAL / JUSTICE CORRESPONDENTS
LEGAL AID CONCERN RAISED IN PARLIAMENT
MACASKILL TO RAISE RAPIST LEGAL AID CASE

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill today confirmed he will raise the issue of legal aid being supplied to a policeman who has been convicted of rape with the Scottish Legal Aid Board.
Mr MacAskill made the commitment in answer to questions from SNP MSP Christina McKelvie after it was revealed that former Policeman Adam Carruthers who had part of his pension withdrawn by the police authority after being convicted of rape has received legal aid to pursue his case to have his pension restored.
Speaking after she questioned Mr MacAskill in the Scottish Parliament Central Scotland MSP Ms McKelvie said;
“I welcome the Cabinet Secretary’s commitment to raise this issue with the Legal Aid Board.
“I agree with the Justice Secretary that Legal Aid must primarily help the victim – not convicted perpetrators.
“Though there will always be issues around human rights legislation when it comes to legal aid this case has caused significant concerns and I hope the Legal Aid Board will consider whether the criteria they apply are the right ones.
“Legal Aid is a complicated issue and everyone is entitled to their defence – but it beggars belief that someone who has been convicted of rape whilst on duty as a policeman should receive legal aid to sue for their police pension.”ENDS


The last sentence is of particular significance in this case and from my position as just one of the Carruthers victims. The statement has received mass coverage in local and national media. I had contact from the press asking me how I felt about the statement. I find this, for a change, extremely empowering. If you are reading this as one affected by the heinous actions of Carruthers - I hope you do too. For me it has made the efforts of the last couple of weeks so worthwhile to endeavour to get a level playing field. It's made me think there is a possibility that victims might just get the same rights as perpetrators - the sooner the better.

What a difference a week makes!

15 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

This is all so fantastically positive! Well done for heaving that stone to get it moving.

Michael Russell's great isn't he, I met him when we were campaigning to save the uni campus, even though it wasn't part of his remit he got totally behind us and he just seemed to me to have such integrity? It's great to have people in power who aren't corrupted by it. Elaine Murray is the same: genuinely good.

Jane Dearie said...

I simply couldn't have done this by myself! Hope you've had a big e-hug for your superb efforts.
Yep, the MSP's who have taken this on have done so with great thought and decency, not to mention humanity. They too are now working to find a way to even this bumpy pitch out. It makes me feel stronger and more empowered and less like I'm 'bashing my head against a brick wall' as I have done for so long. I trust that there will be changes for the better for victims who follow.
I also hope this gives the perpetrators a harder time and makes them face up to their crimes and that justice must mean exactly that. There has to be fairness and equality of rights.
Let's keep that stone rolling fast!
LOL, Jane xxx

Anonymous said...

Well done to you Jane and to all who support this campaign. Good that the politicians have finally taken it up too. Sounds like it's going places. Not before time either. x

Anonymous said...

Great. Fantastic those who have got so much done. Well done to helpful MSP's. I'm hoping for some new rules soon - ones for victims and ones to stop shits like Carruthers in his tracks. He is the lowest of the low. One day .... one day soon ....

Anonymous said...

Tables turning? I hope so. Great news. Keep at it.
Time you felt empowered - you're doing great things.
Your strength and bravery amazes me.
Another rape victim.

Jane Dearie said...

Holly, on behalf of all of us who have worked at this - many thanks. I think our efforts are starting to pay off for the greater good.

Anon - I cetainly hope this is the start of levelling rights out. I have no sympathy for any criminal who made choices at the cost of innocent people.

Anon - yes, it certainly has felt empowering for a change. I don't think it's brave or courageous - just a case of having had enough after far too many years of this unrepentant criminal calling all the shots. I want to see positive change for all rape victims. We deserve parity and equal treatment at the very least.

debra said...

Oh, Jane, this is wonderful news. It is empowering for you and for all of us around the world who have been touched by sexual assault.
xo

angryparsnip said...

Good to hear what is going on !

I have been checking on my BBC News post then hitting every button hoping to be connected to any news. Glad to read positive news for once.

Well Done !

Hugs from Tucson, Arizona, Gayle

Anonymous said...

Very good news Jane. Better news if they actually change and up the rights for victims. Even better if rapists got longer in prison or even better got life. Keep up the pressure.
A

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having an effect! Well done.

I would like to see victims treated more fairly. You have created a movement toward that, which is something to be proud of.

D.

Jane Dearie said...

Debra - thanks, this is also for people anywhere in the world, like yourself, who never got the justice that should have been yours by right. I hope this is empowering for you too.
LOL, Jane xxx

AP - many thanks to you too from many miles away. It's just so fantastic to see what the weeks of work and the protest achieved. Such wonderful news and now we have to hope for actual changes, real change! I'm fingers crossed. Hugs from a snowy Scotland, Jane xxx

A - brill news isn't it? All taken off so quickly! Now I feel slightly like a terrier! I don't want to let this drop for the sake of all those who don't have a voice, who don't get justice yet have gone through the most dreadful ordeals. Yes, I would like to see longer sentences and ones that mean what they say. Carruthers was the most dreadful abuser of power, preying on so many women over a 20 year period as a cop - that should have got many more years in jail.
Best, Jane

D - thanks too, but please remember it's not just me who is hopefully going to engender change. There were those who turned out at the protest, some coming many miles to be there, unafraid to be shown on TV and in newspapers for something they believe in too. That was quite some message to the decision makers when rape is such an emotive subject. Now here's hoping for positive results from the parliamentarians. It's long overdue. I have found this tough going,I need more steam but it's so good to feel more empowered for a change!
Best, Jane

Anonymous said...

This is what I call the beginning of real progress. Not before time either.
Well done jane and supporters.

Jane Dearie said...

Hello Anon, thanks for stopping by and joining in the comments. I think this is a superb start. It's down to lots of campaigning and more good people starting to see that the situation is clearly unfair to victims who are denied choice.
Jane.

Anonymous said...

Solidarity indeed. Behind you Jane and behind Ann too. All women need to stick together and fight against dreadful injustices.

Jane Dearie said...

Anon, thanks for your comment - I've moved it up to the post above so that it runs with the posting. best, Jane