Sunday 25 January 2009

Pension for a serial rapist?

This is the week, on Thursday 29th, when the decision will be made in Dumfries Sheriff Court about Carruthers' pension fight. Will the Sheriff decide to give him his full pension? Will the Sheriff decide that he doesn't have a right to it as D&G Council did? Carruthers got up to 100,000K in legal aid to fight for it to alleviate his 'family hardship.' If the decision goes against him will he appeal? Highly likely on his past performance. I think many rapists like Carruthers live in complete denial about everything - be it rapes or pension rights.

I've just spent the afternoon getting emails out to 21 MSP's, 2 MP's and a series of media contacts about Thursday and the emotive issues involved. Will it do any good? Why spend a Sunday afternoon doing this? I sometimes wonder if it's worth the effort and if there will be any progress in changing these sort of injustices.

Yes, it really is worth the hassle, worth the rekindling of bad memories and worth re-feeling the horrors and negativities of much that has been part of my world since I was raped by Carruthers.

I believe action is important for a number of reasons. The behaviour of Carruthers highlights the obstacles that many victims have to face over a long period of time. I could sit back and do nothing - yeah, that would be an easier life for sure, but it's just not me. I have a conscience, a strong feeling for those victims who never get justice. I have a conscience that if people don't know what goes on then how can change possibly be effected? I do care about other victims, known or unknown; anybody who might become involved in this dreadful sort of scenario through no fault of their own.

The fact that Carruthers continues to receive large amounts of public money in legal aid beggars belief, especially for trying to reinstate a full pension for heinous acts he chose to carry out whilst on duty. The irony being that he was being paid to protect the public not go into houses and brutally rape women and sexually assault women whilst on duty.

So if he wins this case on Thursday, many of the Carruthers victims and their families will have to pay their council tax in the knowledge that a serial rapist and sex offender will benefit; that some of their council tax has been spent by their council to defend this action.

What about the victims of the future? Inevitably there will be such people. Ones who probably think 'nothing so bad could ever happen to me.' I was in that bracket of women until 12 years ago. Never say never I now realise is the case .....or was I really unlucky with being raped and then in getting the head injury?

I strongly feel that something positive must come from the horror that is the Carruthers case and from similar cases. To be a survivor who might be able to assist in helping to initiate some of the necessary changes would help. Just to make it better in knowing that women in the future won't have to cope with all the crazy things that the Carruthers victims have had to .......and still have to. I believe that some of these dreadful actions which can later be taken by convicted rapists does not encourage victims to come forward. There is only one place for rapists - prison with a punishment that might keep people safe for a decent period of time and then to keep them under supervision to protect the public as far as is possible.

Some blog readers have contacted me and are going to protest at the court on Thursday. If you feel as upset as they do about this abuse of public money - do join them. It will all help to draw attention to this piece of madness that favours serial sex offenders and neglects their victims. I understand people will be at the court at about 10 a.m.

After the case on Thursday it will be interesting to find out if rape is a pensionable occupation or not.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane you work hard when you've already gone through the mill. Thanks so much for caring for your fellow women. You deserve all our thanks for trying to get a better system. Well done you!
A

Jane Dearie said...

A, thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
I think that it's better to take positive action than to do nothing so that things will just stay the same. I may not succeed with this, but I have to try as it's just not right or fair to any victims or to their families.
best wishes, Jane

Anonymous said...

Don't give him leagal aid, don't give him a pension - give him a noose to pull tightly round his neck.

Eryl Shields said...

I must set to making a placard or a banner with something pertinent and eye catching on it so that the monster gets the message.

I think you were unlucky. Although the authorities are in danger of sending a strong message that rape is acceptable behaviour if Carruthers is awarded his full pension, we do still live in a culture where most people don't believe that for a second. Women have made strong gains in the last century or so: marital rape is now a recognised crime, at least in theory; it's now no longer acceptable for men to beat their wives, and most men accept a woman's right to say no. And all this is thanks to people like you who keep on campaigning.

Jane Dearie said...

Anon of the 25th, thanks for the comment. I sense that you feel as strongly as other people do about this waste of public money. I think a punishment in prison that better fits the crime is appropriate. I hope you can make it with the others on the 29th and let your voice be heard.

Eryl, you star! Many thanks for your support which is most welcome. Maybe I was unlucky, but the main thing now is to try to get positives and more changes from what is a dreadful scenario for so many. It's the only way to help those who never got justice or who were and still are too afraid to speak up against rats like Carruthers.
best wishes, Jane xxx

debra said...

We can be unlucky---wrong place? wrong time? We never "ask for it," and should never have to defend ourselves for when we survive, we did everything correctly.
It is time that our governments and cultures stop blaming the victim and put accountability where it belongs.I would be there if I could. I AM there in spirit. Keep the faith, Jane. I will join you.
xo

Jane Dearie said...

Hi Debra from o'er that big, big pond. Aye, I know you're right and I was very unlucky. We should put the blame with the perpetrators, just where it belongs ....but when the authorities do daft things like heaping public money to help rapists and serial sex offenders you just start to question if the country is turning on it's head or if you are.
I know you will be with us in spirit and I really thank you for that. I'm already very taken with changes happening in your country and so hope that sensible changes and rights for victims might happen here. England got their own champion for victims rights appointed today. I am surprised there is no such person lobbying for the victims of crimes in Scotland.
Very best wishes to you over there and thanks so much for your support, Jane x

debra said...

We have Victims' Compensation here in Ohio, so that lost wages and medical expenses can be reimbursed. And there are advocates to help negotiate the system. It's hard to get back your life though....
xo

Jane Dearie said...

That's different to our system Debra. We have Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). They turned me down flat twice to start with. Then I had to go through two adversarial hearings with CICA - even though the rapist was behind bars at that stage. I had to pay for a solicitor to fight for me as I wasn't able to cope following my injuries and the PTSD and it was all horrendous in another trial-like situation and took over 8 years to sort out.
best wishes, Jane x

Anonymous said...

This was a particularly terrible case, as Carruthers was working as a policeman and in a position of trust. It's even worse that he has had legal aid in his attempt to reinstate his police pension. It's totally unbelievable. I do hope the court treat his application with the contempt the man himself so richly deserves.
I wish you all the very best on Thursday, may not be able to get there, but will be thinking of you all.

Jane Dearie said...

Many thanks for your support and comments Jean.
If this campaign stops such abuses of pubic money and helps the victims of the future then those will be positives achieved from a particularly horrific rapist and unrepentant sex offender. As a council tax payer I would find it an even greater insult. I'm sure all income and council tax payers feel the same.
best wishes, Jane x