Thursday 6 November 2008

Violence against women; a gender issue?

A letter from a regional organisation came through my letterbox today. On the back page was an advert. It was simply a red page with a picture of a white ribbon. I was intrigued. I looked closer, read the web address, Googled the words and have discovered that there is such an organisation called the White Ribbon Campaign.
http://www.whiteribboncampaign.co.uk/

What is the White Ribbon Campaign (WRC)?
The WRC is the largest effort in the world of men working to end men's violence against women.

How did the WRC get started?
In 1991, a handful of men in Canada decided they had a responsibility to urge men to speak out against violence against women. They decided that wearing a white ribbon would be a symbol of men's opposition to men's violence against women. After only six weeks preparation, as many as one hundred thousand men across Canada wore a white ribbon. Many others were drawn into discussion and debate on the issue of men's violence. There are now White Ribbon Campaigns operating in many countries around the world.

The UK Branch of WRC was started in 2004.
Wearing a white ribbon is a personal pledge never to commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women.

Each year, WRC urge men and boys to wear a ribbon for one or two weeks, starting on November 25, the International Day for the Eradication of Violence Against Women

WRC is an educational organization to encourage reflection and discussion that leads to personal and collective action among men.

Throughout the year, WRC encourage men
to do educational work in schools, workplaces and communities,
to support local women's groups,
to raise money for the international educational efforts of the WRC.
WRC distribute Education and Action kits to schools, maintain a website. WRC speak out on issues of public policy.


So how appropriate to my own feelings about violence (against either gender) when you have a look at the WRC website. There have been many men who at the time were and I discover still more men who find the criminal activities of men like Adam Carruthers against so many women utterly appalling. They have been in touch through my blog or via email. Many have said that they are ashamed to be a man, yet they are not the violent ones.

There were men who stood back and didn't act when they had strong suspicions of the dreadful actions that Carruthers was involved in. His friends and some of his colleagues. There was one courageous policeman, backed by his supervisor, who went against the culture of the force at that time and he spoke out to senior officers. These men were the brave ones, the ones I will always have the greatest respect for as, especially at that time, they risked so much in what was the pursuit of justice and they stood by the raison d'etre of all police officers. They didn't want evil to succeed by remaining silent, by standing back and doing nothing.

The judicial process that I went through was dominated by men and, as a rape victim, I found that was incredibly hard for me to cope with. Perhaps more so as the rapist who attacked me was a man in a position of trust, one who abused his power. The WRC has shown me that men have come together in a spirit of concerted effort and hope to educate and to reduce and preferably end violence against women. Well done to the White Ribbon Campaign.

The WRC week is from the 25th November. I hope that lots of people support their efforts; and I don't care of which gender as violence might be predominantly generated by men, but violence is violence and I abhor it. Let us never forget that men can also be violated by women and that's not a gender issue, it's a criminal act just the same as a man's violence towards a woman is. So a gender issue or not?

Will you discuss the activities and aims of the WRC with your friends? See what they think, gauge their opinions? Will you join the volunteers of the WRC and show your support? What about wearing a white ribbon as a committed and caring member of our society who is against violence against either gender, especially against women?

9 comments:

Eryl said...

I had no idea of the existence of the white ribbon campaign either. How amazing is it that two women for whom this issue is so important didn't know of such a huge international campaign? Looking at the site, it appears footballers knew before we did! I really must open my eyes more often. Eryl XXX

Jane Dearie said...

Yep, it's amazing how starting something leads to finding out about something else along the same lines. This happened by sheer coincidence. For me it shows a great desire for change. All those men in Canada supporting WRC and wearing white ribbons in such a short space of time - wow! The power of people being united against violence is amazing.
Now the football clubs in the UK. Well done to all the people who have committed to the WRC. I admire each and every one of you and .....a white ribbon is on it's way to me because this isn't just about gender, it's about criminal behaviour. Jane xxx

Kim Ayres said...

I'd never heard of the white ribbon campaign either - I will look into that.

Meanwhile I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to visit and comment on my blog :)

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks for the comment and visiting my blog Kim. It seems there are many of us who are unaware of the WRC.

I found your blog by reading about your birthday party on Eryl's blog. It sounded the most wonderful occasion. Hope you enjoyed it too!
Jane

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jane. I didn't know about this. I was victimised by a really nasty woman I was living with who made my life hell, sothanks for pointing out it's not about gender. I'll be wearing a white ribbon now too. I support anybody who has been violated.
I think you're amzing and brave. You give hope to many. Well done Jane.

Jane Dearie said...

Hello Anon, thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving a comment. I'm really sorry to hear of your experiences. Violence is violence and it's a crime and it's not a gender issue as so many people assume. I hope you're in happier circumstances now.I only believe passionately that people have a right to be safe and not become victims of crime, so that's why I do the blog and I hope to highlight some of the issues involved. Keep happy, best wishes, Jane.

Anonymous said...

Good on you Jane.
The Record article yesterday showed Carruthers is still in fantasy world.
The ones he's hurt, like me, still struggle on with what he did ...and as a copper.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You are such a brave and inspiring person.By speaking out you are boosting womens morale and empowering us. I hope this 'man' that violated you will get whats coming to him. As for the white ribbon campaign, I wear mine with pride. Keep up with the blog, it's a really good thing that your doing.

take care

Jane Dearie said...

Dear Anons,
Thank you both for taking the time to read and comment on the blog.
Anon 1, I'm so sorry you're a victim too. I hope you reported it and you've had support too. Please do get in touch with people on the right of the blog if it would help. Never be alone and please don't bottle - worst thing I did.

Anon 2; thanks so much for your kind words. I'm really pleased to hear that other women are wearing the white ribbon. I think it's a fantastic campaign and the funds go to help women who have been hurt by men. I just hope there are enough places for men who are victims of abuse to get the help they might need as it must be really hard for men in that situation. I knkow it's not about gender.

I care because that's me, and there's nothing I would change about that aspect of me. If this blog helps just one other person then it will have achieved something positive.

Thanks to you both and hope all goes well for you.
Jane x