Wednesday 19 November 2008

Compounding errors

There’s been a lot of activity in the press on the subject of convicted rape cop Adam Carruthers in the last few days. On Friday of last week, the Daily Record published a piece about how Carruthers, in a job application, said he left the police force "due to issues out with my control." It seems this man won’t tell the truth and won’t accept that he is a serial sex offender who has serious behavioural problems which eventually, thankfully culminated in his prison sentence and now, sadly, his automatic release from prison under licence.

On Saturday the Daily Record printed an article about this blog. I didn’t see either of these articles in print, but as usual, accessed my news online. It’s the way I get most of my news. Using online news facilities means I don’t have to go out and face the world when I don’t feel up to it, which is most of the time.

Today the Dumfries and Galloway Standard have printed a piece about the blog and the use of tax payers money that Carruthers has at his disposal to fight for his full pension. Such a horrible event for all of his many victims who I think may all come from D&G. Many of them, like me, will be council tax payers.

So compound errors? Carruthers obviously still won’t accept responsibility for his crimes, which continues to leave him as a serious danger and risk to the public and to any community he frequents. The articles in the press state that "I have waived my right to anonymity." Well that is only 'sort of,' in that I allowed my photograph to be taken for articles at the time of the release of Carruthers with strict conditions on their use, or lack of use in the future. I’ve given a name too, but no more than that. Why? I’ve not done anything wrong, I’ve nothing to be ashamed of in what somebody decided to do to me. One important thing I do have to consider is the effect on my family; once again this is a difficult time for them in so many ways.

A rape victim has all control taken from them at the time of an attack. If they report to the police and pursue the attack through the courts, then control is continually lost as the process and the courts dictate procedures .......and so it goes on. Keeping control is a really important issue for most victims of rape and serious sexual assaults. Hence my mixed feelings about the 'balance' in the reporting of some issues I’ve raised in this blog. Journalists, like many writers, might only take edited portions of words said or words printed. Sadly this doesn’t always give the full picture or errors are either compounded by a lack of research or repeating errors previously made.

Why am I feeling slightly aggrieved about this? Because, importantly, the decent people who are tax payers are losers in money dished out by the Legal Aid Board, so are the many victims in the issues raised by Carruthers constant attempts to say “I didn’t do it,” “I want my full pension,” and “I want compensation for having to slop out in prison.” I would argue that when he committed the crimes, he of all people knew what the consequences of getting caught would be.
So far Carruthers has already used over £110,000 of tax payers’ money given from legal aid. Now he has been given up to another £100,000 to fight for his full pension and apparently he’s got yet another application in the pipeline for yet more legal issues he wishes to pursue.

When is the line drawn? It doesn’t seem to be with this man and he’s simply 'playing the system' we have in place. There is just one thick line for the victims with just one chance to give your evidence in court and coping with that was extremely hard with your attacker sitting close by in the dock. Is this constant pursuit against ‘unwelcome decisions’ by a criminal just and respectful for the law abiding citizens, tax payers and council tax payers? How this money could be put to much better use. The rape crisis centres would be extremely grateful for a fraction of this amount of money as they try to work on shoestring budgets and they save lives - the lives of victims like me.

Thankfully many aspects of the investigation and court process are changing from the time when the Carruthers case went to court and there is good news on that front. Forty of the fifty recommendations made in the “Review of the Investigation and Prosecution of Sexual Offences in Scotland,” published by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service in June 2006 have been implemented.

The use tax payers money for legal aid for criminals chasing the things they lost the right to by committing crimes is something that I urge you to consider carefully and to pursue with your MSP if you also think it is not a fair system when a convicted criminal can’t seem to get the answers he apparently desires, no matter how many times he might try.
Now, where and when is that line going to be drawn?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Jane. I think you're amazing. I'm with you on all you say.

Anonymous said...

I admire you for your strength and determination to help people.
Brave lady, full of courage.
HS x

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks so much Anons for reading the blog. Kind words from you both. One step towards a better deal would be fantastic and lead to a brighter future.
Jane x

debra said...

Kudos to you from this side of the pond, Jane. One kind of get to the point that speaking out is what we have to do.
xox

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks for your over the pond support Debra. Aye, that's exactly it,if past victims who can speak out don't speak out then things don't change. Same bum deal for those who sadly follow.
Jane xxx

Anonymous said...

Blooming brilliant. If only more would speak out like you are doing.

Anonymous said...

Much gratitude for putting your blog together. I was very good friends with Helen Hughes who killed herself back in 2001. How Carruthers has been released when still denying his crimes his beyond me, but it's nothing new the police protecting their own, regardless of the crimes. The sham Lockerbie bombing trial and the imprisonment of an innocent man is just another example of how corrupt Dumfriesshire Police were under John Orr.

Jane Dearie said...

Hello Anon, thanks for your supportive comments. Much appreciated in what has been and continues to be an utter scandal.

'No Remorse' Thanks for reading my blog and for putting your own blog together. I was so sorry about Helen Hughes and sorry to learn that you were a good friend of hers and she died in awful circumstances. People tend to forget about the 'ripple effect,' the friends and families of the many victims that Lothian and Borders Police found.
It was an absolute tragedy and a disgrace that she was driven to commit suicide having made the allegation of rape against Carruthers. Her final action showed how the whole system, social services included, let her down incredibly badly. The fact that nobody listened or acted appropriately and she never saw Carruthers convicted is galling.
I think of other victims, especially those like Helen, a lot when I'm working on the blog. Her sacrifice was far too much. I now know of two who committed suicide because of the actions of Adam Carruthers and I now know of 4 others, myself included, who have tried to commit suicide because of what he did. In my case, because he threatened me over the phone when he was about to be suspended and because the D&G police at that time didn't seem to believe me or listen to what I was saying - however difficult that was, the pieces were all there. He seemed truly 'untouchable.'
It is wrong that so many women have been deprived of the justice that is rightfully theirs. That really grieves me.
I hope you have found some peace in the years after Helen's tragic death and you have hope for a universal justice on behalf of Helen and those who were close to her and all the other victims who didn't get justice through the courts.
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi- I read about Adam Carruthers and his fight to get his full police pension rights. I also saw your email address on the white ribbon campaign website.
What that man did to you and other women is disgusting and whilst he may have served some time in jail- the sentence was woefully inadequate. He is still a relatively young man who poses a significant risk to women.
I add my voice to your campaign.
I admire you for speaking out on many levels.
Caroline

Jane Dearie said...

Hello Caroline,
Many thanks for reading the blog and for your comment. It's hard to think that so many people are outraged and yet a man like Carruthers can call all the shots with the system. You're right, he's still relatively young and very capable of more heinous crimes. Heaven forbid anybody else suffers at his hands.