Thursday 18 September 2008

Are you one?

I've been pondering about a comment left on my blog the other day by a woman who was also raped by Carruthers. I realise the amount of emotional outrage and stirring that will inevitably have been caused by the release of Carruthers from such a short time in prison, especially considering the nature of his crimes.

I don't know if you're the one who left the comment and perhaps you'll read this entry if you're following my blog. Whatever, please don't think you're alone. I'm sorry it happened to you too. I bottled it all up for so long, telling nobody. Bottled so much I could have got a job with Guinness, but the result has not been good for my mental health. That bottling, telling nobody (not helped by a string of other horrendous things in a short space of time) led to the chronic level of PTSD that I now have.

If you are a Carruthers victim and you're not coping with what's going on at the moment please speak to somebody if you feel able. Doesn't matter who - a trusted friend, the local rape crisis service, the lovely woman at the head of the Offender Mangament Unit of D&G Constabulary who has been so helpful to me about the release of that scumbag. Just please don't think you're alone with the burden of the memories of what that man did to you and to so many other women. I know you'll be understood and believed. That issue of belief is one of the worst things about sexual crimes. "How can I prove it?" Do take some courage in that it was proved and Carruthers was found guilty, did go to prison, albeit for not very long considering the nature of his crimes. He is a registered sex offender for life. He was found to have committed his crimes over a 20 year period - perhaps it was longer?

There have to be changes to the legislation and the way the legal system deal with these crimes and I'm really fighting for that, so much so that I gave up my image that was precious to me. If you believe in these changes being necessary too, do please leave me a comment - it could be done anonymously, it's up to you, just a show of support would be great.

Decent people do care about their fellow woman/man. Nobody deserves to be abused and in this case the use of a police uniform by Carruthers made it all so much worse. Help me to fight on and do make some noise, even if it's just a squeak!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a B of a man. I heard about this at the time and was horrified, specially that he was a copper. Can't believe he's only done short time in the jail for what he did to loads of women.
Women were so let down. Brave of you to stand up and be counted against the likes of the police and justice system. It stinks. Seems they just want to keep people out of prison and leave the streets moere dangerous for the rest of us.

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks for your comments. Indeed the justice system fails to help and protect some of the most vulnerable people in our society, yet some of the worst perpetrators of horrendous crimes (in both severity and in the number of women he attacked) can and do get a lot of tax payers money with absolutely nothing to lose out in their attempts to gain anything they can from the system as it currently stands. More about that in my next post.
Jane.

Anonymous said...

I will certainly be writing to my MSP on this matter. Is there anything else that can be done?

Eryl

Anonymous said...

I was a victim of sexual assault a long time ago. It is with me to this day. The perpetrator was never apprehended (I couldn't identify him) and I have had several surgeries as a result of the injuries he inflicted on me. Brava, Jane. Your courage will help scores of women.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about this. I think you're brave to do this, and inevitably you'll end up with a bigger group of supporters and friends.