Sunday 6 September 2009

BBC Radio Scotland Investigation Monday 7th

Tomorrow morning there is a radio programme on at 9 a.m. on Radio Scotland. This is the focus:

09:00–10:00 Morning Extra on BBC Radio Scotland
07/09/2009
Eamonn O'Neill asks why Scotland has so few successful rape prosecutions.


I was asked to take part in this programme a few weeks ago and we recorded at the Rape Crisis Centre in Dumfries a couple of weeks ago. It was a hard interview to do. One of the hardest I've done for a while. Eamonn, being an investigative journalist, asked some very intensive questions. After two hours I came out exhausted and was re-shaken and stirred by many horrible memories. I think it was hard for the producer too, who was superb as she recorded the conversation between Eamonn and myself.

So why do this? I do these things to try and bring the problem of the abysmally low rape conviction rate to the attention of the wider public. Along with the other people who have been interviewed for this programme I hope it can only do good. The current rate for rape prosecutions is around 2.9% in Scotland. I feel that unless people like myself, who have been through the system of criminal investigations and court, speak up then things will never change for the better and the conviction rates are likely to remain horribly low. That means more victims are left without any sense of justice and that more rapists go free. That is they go free to potentially rape again.

I don't know how the format will pan out on the programme tomorrow, but I will be listening to find out what happens and how listeners respond.

8 comments:

Eryl said...

Well done. I will do my best to get to a radio and listen, X

Holly said...

Fantastic for you to do this. Well done as I know it won't have been easy for you. You're as brave as ever to think of others and the future. I know that's your motivation. I'll hope to hear it on listen again when I come back from work.

Anonymous said...

This is good news. The figures are unbelievably/horrificly low. I hope you coped OK after the interview. Look forward to listening. Good on ya Jane x

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks Eryl. I hope it might be on the listen again facility if you happen to miss it at the time.

Holly thanks. I admit it wasn't easy and yes, it did flare up the PTSD a fair bit. I hope it's worth it and yes it is my motivation to hope that more consideration is given to the many issues involved in prosecuting rapists and looking after victims appropriately.

Anon: thanks yes let's hope it's something to help for the future. Thanks for your concern about the after effects of the interview.

Anonymous said...

Amazing programme and the process makes you wonder how any woman copes with this system or goes through with it. Well done on talking on this Jane. It sounds like it was hard on you. You're right though - do nothing and things never get any better. I was horrified to hear how that young girl was treated by the lawyers and so she took her own life. A real tragedy.

Jane Dearie said...

Anon, thanks. Yes it was hard to do but hopefully worth it in helping to raise awareness. Sadly one of my comments was taken out of context so didn't come over so well.
The repercussions of a court case for Lindsay Armstrong and her family were awful. I was horrified at how she was treated in court - to the extent that she took her own life. I know the court system has to be fair to both parties, but there is a limit and that limit is often crossed by the defence lawyers. It is to the detriment of the victim's health and welfare.

angryparsnip said...

I can only shake my head. . . all my good thoughts are with you.
x parsnip

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks for your comment Parsnip. It's all horrendous to realise how hard it is for women to gain justice.