Saturday 11 October 2008

Good tax payers money - some of this yours?

It's hard, if not incredible to believe that the Legal Aid Board for Scotland have granted serial sex offender Adam Carruthers yet more money, up to £100,000, to fight his way through yet another legal process to endeavour to regain the whole of his police pension from Dumfries and Galloway Council (his ex-employers) who sacked him after the court case and misconduct inquiries which found him guilty of serious crimes and dereliction of duty on numerous occasions. The Council reduced his right to a full pension and have only granted Carruthers the right to have a pension which equates to the money he paid actually into it. This will give him around £6,000 a year. The Council can not take this money from him as he paid it in to his pension fund.

So let's give just a wee bit of thought to this latest decision.
1. In the lenghty Lothian and Borders Police inquiry Carruthers was found to have stalked, attacked, raped 38 women - to my knowledge he carried out all of these incidents whilst on duty.
2. I was attacked in my own home at 4 o'clock in the afternoon when Carruthers was on duty, in uniform and he arrived at my house in a marked police vehicle. Ironically my own council tax helped to fund his attack against me.
3. The court heard that Ms X was repeatedly raped by Carruthers and, like myself and several of his victims, she also attempted suicide. It has now been reported that two of his victims did sucessfully commit suicide.
4. The day Ms X came home it was Carruthers who told her husband to take their young son out of the house so that he could speak to Ms X and take her statement. He then RAPED her again in what must have been the most horrendous ordeal at a time when she was at her most vulnerable. An ordeal that must be very hard for her husband and their now grown up son to come to terms with.
5. Another victim was stalked whilst she lived in Langholm and this happened whilst Carruthers was on duty. Her case was featured in the BBC Frontline Scotland programme.
6. Carruthers offending behaviour is known to have taken place over a 20 year period - 20 years when he was not doing his duty as a police officer in protecting the public and endeavouring to reduce or stop crime in his local patch. Earlier in his career, as a constable, he was censured for sexual misconduct and yet incredibly he still rose to the rank of police inspector before he was finally suspended from duty and subsequently imprisoned and became renowned as one of Scotland's most prolific sex offenders.

These are just a few points that this incredulous decision of giving a convicted serial rapist even more tax payers money raises.

Who really pays for Carruthers' action against D&G Council as his previous employer?
1. The tax payer in Legal Aid fees. That is you if you pay income tax. His legal aid bill already tops £110,000 - a phenomenal amount of money that some of your income tax has been used for.
2. The Council tax payers of Dumfries and Galloway, an area where many of his victims still reside, will pay through their local council tax in fighting the action and, heaven forbid Carruthers wins his case, they then have to pay more of their council tax money towards his pension which one can certainly argue he doesn't deserve.
3. Yet more trauma is added to his many victims by yet more actions of this man who so abused his power as a policeman one questions how could he even be considered to be worthy of his full pension after what he did to so many women?
4. How can a man who quite obviously did not uphold his police oath or do his duty in serving the local community be worthy of a full pension?

So let's think why Carruthers is taking this legal action.
1. He appears to have absolutely nothing to lose as under current legislation he is legitimately using tax payers money to fight his case. It isn't costing him anything. That is the system we have and we haven't tried to change .....yet.
2. Despite being a convicted sex offender who has lost his appeals against convictions of rape and indecent assaults, the legal system works in his favour and is actually aiding his continued legal actions on any front he appears to see fit.
3. He has everything to gain if he were to win his case and regain his right to a full police pension which would give him a pension of around £17,000 per annum.

What about the victims? This gives a different perspective.
The Criminal Injuries tariff for being raped at the time Carruthers was found guilty was £7,500. If a victim put in a claim for more than one serious injury, as I did, which included permanent psychological damage which requires prolonged pscyhiatric treatment (for post traumatic stress disorder and depression), then the tariff for the rape was reduced to only 10% of that £7,500 ....yes that was a mere £750 compensation for being raped in my own home mid afternoon by a police sergeant on duty paid for by our council tax. The mental scars still remain and that tariff for psychological damage was £20,000 at that time. I remain on 23 prescribed medicines a day, as I have done for many, many years I still have to see health professionals on a frequent basis for the effects of the physical and mental injuries of his attack.

When you put all this in perspective it's not hard for any reasonable person to realise that the income tax and council tax payers are losers and the victims are also the losers physically, mentally and financially. Sadly the memories of these crimes do not fade with time ....you just have to try to learn how to deal with them day by day ...or as was sadly the case with some of Carruthers victims, give up in despair, take your own life rather than try to live with the memories of his actions and also not be believed by his fellow police officers to whom you reported.

As you have read this blog entry I really hope these points raise some searching questions in your minds.
Why is this happening and have we, as a society accepted this system as is? Huge sums of money are paid to serial sex ofenders who have served minimal time in prison and now have everything to gain in financial terms by taking out such actions.
Why do decent people let it happen? May be they don't realise?
Do decent people know the system we have in this country is firmly biased towards the perpetrators?
Why isn't this level of (legal aid) money instead spent on the important (often voluntary) agencies who have to pick up the many pieces and the debris from the shattered lives of the many victims of such heinous crimes? My local rape crisis centre quite literally saved my life yet they work on a shoe string budget and struggle to provide a region-wide service which I, like other survivors know really does save lives.

These are all points that I am raising with MSP's, victims groups and other agencies. Will you raise them too?
I don't want to pay a penny more in council tax to a serial sex offender like Adam Carruthers who has been responsible for the deaths of women and for mulitple traumas to women when it was his paid duty to care and protect them. As a special constable I happily worked many hours each week as a volunteer. In executing my duties I took all the same responsibilties and risks as any paid police officer does. This is not something that I regret. I only regret that I ever met Adam Carruthers and I regret to have discovered that many decent citizens are badly let down by the social and justice systems in our country.

It wouldn't be easy, but if asked, I will stand up in the court yet again and give evidence as to how my council tax was used to pay for a police officer in the employment of D&G Council to abuse, degrade and rape me. I would do this because I believe it is the right thing to do. Serial sex offenders, like any other offender, should not benefit or profit from their crimes. Carruthers made a decision every time he atacked a women and he alone is responsible for all that entails ....including losing his right to a full pension.

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane I think you're bloody amazing.
I don't want to give this piece of s**t any of my tax money - my council or income tax. I work hard for what little I earn. He didn't and he's blitzed lives. He attacked a friend of mine. She's never been the same woman since. Its heart breaking and i still feel useless trying to help her. She's a shell on anti-depressants and daizepam. He should have got life in the jail.
Keep fighting for change Jane. You deserve a medal after all you've gone through and yet you're still fighting for others and you really care. Good on you. x

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks so much for your very kind comments. Yes, I do care and really want to change things for the better for all victims.
I'm so so sorry about your friend. I hope she knows that there are people who can help her no matter how long ago she was attacked. I'm certain you'll be trying all you can to help her. The support of friends is so very valuable. I certainly found out who my true friends were. I hope you will give your friend my best wishes, tell her she's not alone, people do care about her and you could show her the list of some of the agencies who can help if you think appropriate to her. If she's on email then she could email me for a pointer to more support if that would be of help.
Comments like yours helps to keep me going with this campaign. Many thanks. Jane

Eryl Shields said...

Why, indeed, do people let this sort of thing happen? Why do we give our money to a government that then spends it on this sort of thing? I think I can safely say that the majority of people would be appalled at this, why the hell should anyone get a full pension when they haven't done a full job , even removing the facts of criminality in this case it doesn't make sense?

I'm just going to have a look and see if any legal precedents have been set in this regard and also, if there is any large (national, international?) body out there that could put its weight behind your campaign. You've probably done this already, but I just feel I need to do something.

Also, I know a political activist who might be able to help, I'll ask him. You need backers, you can't do this on your own.

Jane Dearie said...

Thanks Eryl. Sometimes it feels like an uphill struggle that many others find too difficult to even contemplate taking this sort of thing on. As much as I try I certainly know I can't do this alone.
I would certainly appreciate any support that helps to put a stop to this never ending idiocy of massive rights for the perptrators yet the victims and the agencies who help victims are left struggling to keep going. It's also very hard for victims to cope with this sort of a campaign on their own and stay focussed and able to see it in a balanced way. Pain can still be raw no matter the length of time that passes.
Changes definitely need to be made so that perpetrators don't have access to what appears to me to be a seemingly open-ended stash of tax payers money for their own gain following major acts of criminality. There are far more needier areas where tax payers money would lead to positives and real benefits for the lives of the decent citizens in our society.
Jane x

Anonymous said...

No, no no. This money just goes to the lawyers who don't care about victims and defend people like this worthless s***. He's got blood and misery on his hands - a load of it.
It's crazy. It's madness.
I don't want a single penny from my taxes to be used for his pension which he doesn't deserve.